MATHS I ENGLISH I BIOLOGY I PHYSICS I CHEMISTRY
Our A-level environment:
At Merit Tutors we understand the crucial level of importance A-level exam results play when it comes to students attaining a place at a good university. We create an environment which equips students with the appropriate knowledge and exam skills so they can succeed and progress onto higher education. We aim to challenge our students and ensure that they are confident and ready to get the highest grades in their exams. A-level exam content can be difficult to grasp therefore we prepare our students extensively using a variety of techniques and methods so they can reach their full potential.
Our teaching methods
- The personalised resources in our centre are in line with the national curriculum and through this we make sure each student’s weakness in is targeted directly whilst also remaining on track to the national structure
- Group Tutoring: our classes have around 5/6 students in each, allowing students to whilst simultaneously allowing the teachers to focus on each student
- Our A-level students range from those in AS to those in A2 so the lower level students can pick up things in advance and be ahead in their classrooms at school
How can you see the results?
- Regular tests are conducted using previous A-level papers and the first pass mark is 80%, after which the student can take the test again with pass mark of 90% if they do not pass the first time.
- Past papers are often used during lessons so that students are able to answer any questions with ease and so that the structure of the answers that are accepted by the mark schemeare engrained within the students
- Online records are kept for each student so that we can see the progress of their analytic techniques
- Paper feedback is also provided to students which they use at home to further practice and improve what they have learnt
What the students think?
“I want to do chemistry at university and I’m really happy that we get to learn things ahead here at the tuition centre because at school I know things before everyone else”
“At the start when I chose Biology for A-levels, I thought it would be easy but it’s actually really hard and the tuition centre helps me get through exam questions easily without being discouraged”
“I want to do Physics at university so going to the tuition centre means that I know that I’m going to get good marks and get into a good university like Durham or UCL”
“I really enjoy English at the tuition centre because I feel like I’m learning something new every single lesson and I always go back to college and apply it”
Maths is a highly rigorous and technical subject with requires a high level or practice and understanding. We ensure we provide our students with a strong grasp of the entire syllabus and thoroughly examine their abilities in the subject. Our aim is to ensure each student is capable of answering papers with ease and has a key understanding of the correct methods and exam technique.
Like all our other subjects, our priority is to make sure students have the ability to succeed in the subject therefore we spent time communicating with them in order to identify weaknesses and assist them to get the best grades.
Biology requires a different type of approach and examinations techniques, and at Merit Tutors we ensure that our students are fully aware and understand this. We engage in discussions with students about the subject and go through the syllabus extensively making sure students are confident with all the exam content.
Content can be exchanged with the students without having to spend hour on the same topic and this means that we can make most of the time we have with the students and use it wisely to teach broad amounts.
Chemistry is a subject that combines science with mathematics, two subjects that students often struggle with. At Merit Tutors, we ensure that students are able to achieve highly in both. We cover all the topics in the syllabus thoroughly, ensuring our students have no weaknesses in any.
We ensure that each student gets the technical grasp of the subject confidently. If a student does not understand something the first time we make sure they are comfortable with asking questions and ensure that they understand it fully before we move them on to the next topic.
At Merit Tutors we ensure students develop a highly critical and analytical approach for English. We aim to think challenge them to think outside of the box in order to really engage with English language/literature papers. We go through the relevant material in depth in order to make sure students are able to approach exams with a solid understanding. Our students are pushed to think on their own and read around the subject thoroughly.
Physics is often known as a combination of the sciences and maths which is what makes it not only one of the most interesting subjects but also most difficult. Students who are applying for Medicine at university often take on Physics just to complete the application process and then find it difficult, we have teachers who have been through the same process and can help guide students to ensure they can complete their Physics exam to attain the highest marks possible. We make sure students cover all topics of Physics ranging from Kinematics, Oscillations and Nuclear Physics.
We ensure each student is able to apply the correct exam techniques and has the relevant technical skills to approach physics paper with confidence and ease.